Principal Stokes 2nd Quarter News
November 9, 2018
Greetings Carson Students and Families,
Welcome to the 2nd Quarter. Time truly flies by. Not too long ago, our attention was focused on a smooth start to the year. All students began the year by sorting through the ins and outs of understanding their schedule, moving between classes, and establishing connections with peers and teachers. Now we can look back at a successful 1st Quarter. I am happy to share that students transitioned in a very positive way into the year. It is exciting to observe the engagement and positivity around the building. In both core and elective classes, learning opportunities requiring students to demonstrate their critical and creative thinking are at the forefront of instruction. Meanwhile, each of our interdisciplinary teams took steps to establish a home within the school through relationship building and team building activities. These are the building blocks for positive outcomes throughout the year.
The 2nd Quarter brings its own rhythm and set of opportunities. Considering the different holiday breaks that occur during the coming months, the 2nd Quarter is the longest quarter of the year. This is a perfect time to reflect upon our school theme for the 18-19 school year: #FocusOnYourWhy. We ask for all students to think about their motivations and goals for the year. Where can I look to build upon a strength or improve upon an area for growth? In addition, here are some tips to follow for a solid 2nd Quarter:
- Use organizational tools to the best of your ability. The DAB and online systems such as Blackboard are effective tools that you can adjust to meet your particular needs.
- Continue to advocate for your own learning. Our teachers and staff are always ready and able to provide assistance. Meanwhile, we encourage students to be the voice for their own needs. This means asking questions and making connections with your teachers to get extra help as needed.
- Get involved in our after school program. We are fortunate at the middle school level to have academic and extracurricular offerings after the regular school day ends. This is a great chance to connect with a teacher in an individual or small group fashion. The after school program is also a fun way to take part in a wide selection of clubs and sports.
There are a host of great events to look forward to as fall turns to winter. We are always grateful for your involvement.
- November 12: Our annual Veterans Day celebration. We are fortunate to have 60 veterans present with us to share their experiences and provide a chance for students to learn more about their commitment to our country. Thank you to all of the men and women who serve in our military.
- November 14 and 15: Our fall theater production titled Group Chat. We encourage all students and parents to join us for this outstanding drama.
- Throughout late November and December: our Blue Ribbon award winning music department will hold their winter concerts.
- Friday, January 11: The SCA Skate Night at Reston Skate Quest. This is a fun night for students to put on a pair of skates and enjoy time with their friends.
As the holiday season approaches, we wish a very Happy Holidays to all of our families. We intend to avoid the assigning of major projects and assessments during this time of year. All of us should enjoy the time away and take the time to relax and recharge.
Thank you for your hard work. I look forward to the continued success as we roll into 2019.