Procedures for reporting student absences
Parents or guardians should use our online attendance form (preferred), email CarsonMSAttendance@fcps.edu, or call the attendance line at 703-925-3636 in the morning to let the school know of any tardiness or absence. For middle school students, attendance is checked daily for each period. Automated absence calls and emails are sent at 9 a.m. if a student is absent and we have not heard from a parent. In addition, calls and emails follow at 6 p.m. via an automated attendance system for any unverified absences.
We offer three different ways to report an absence
Early Dismissal Procedure
To request an early dismissal please send a note, or complete and print an Early Dismissal Request Form for your child. Your child should bring the form to the main office upon arrival to school in order to receive an early dismissal pass for that day. Please do not request early dismissal through the attendance email or phone line.
The expectation for all Carson students is to be on time to class each day, every period.
- All students must be in the classroom by the time the bell stops ringing.
- Students are expected to have a pass if their tardiness is excused. They will not be allowed to go back and get a pass.
- Teachers will make every effort to release students when the bell rings. If by chance they do keep a student after the bell, they will notify the next teacher via email or a written pass so that the tardy will be recorded as excused.
- Teachers will use professional judgment to work with students who might have a legitimate reason for being late. However, coming from PE class should not be the excuse.
- For attendance purposes, students should always report to the main office for an office pass when arriving late to school.
Download the Carson school Tardy Policy here.