Procedures for reporting student absences
Early Dismissal Procedure
Please do not request early dismissal through the attendance email or phone line.
To request an early dismissal please send a note, or complete and print an Early Dismissal Request Form for your child. Your child should bring the note or form to the main office upon arrival to school in order to receive an early dismissal pass for that day. If you forget to send a note, students should still come to the front office to get an early dismissal pass.
Parents or guardians should use our online attendance form (preferred), email @email, or call the attendance line at 703-925-3636 in the morning to let the school know of any tardiness or absence. For middle school students, attendance is checked daily for each period. Automated absence calls and emails are sent at 9 a.m. if a student is absent and we have not heard from a parent. In addition, calls and emails follow at 6 p.m. via an automated attendance system for any unverified absences.
We offer three different ways to report an absence
If you are planning travel or another circumstance where your student will be absent for four or more consecutive days, a Prearranged Absence form is required. Please have your student come to the front office at least a week prior to the dates of absence to obtain this form and have it signed by all of his/her teachers.
Please also note:
- If an absence meets or exceeds 15 school days, the student will be withdrawn on the 15th day and will need to be reenrolled. Please contact @email upon your return for reenrollment.
- Absences because of travel are considered Unexcused Locally.
- If traveling outside of the U.S., the FCPS-issued laptop is not permitted to be taken out of the U.S. If access to a personal computer is available, the student may complete any assignments posted on Schoology and email teachers to keep current with assignments.
- A negative TB test may be required for reenrollment.
The expectation for all Carson students is to be on time to class each day, every period.
- All students must be in the classroom by the time the bell stops ringing.
- Students are expected to have a pass if their tardiness is excused. They will not be allowed to go back and get a pass.
- Teachers will make every effort to release students when the bell rings. If by chance they do keep a student after the bell, they will notify the next teacher via email or a written pass so that the tardy will be recorded as excused.
- Teachers will use professional judgment to work with students who might have a legitimate reason for being late. However, coming from PE class should not be the excuse.
- For attendance purposes, students should always report to the main office for an office pass when arriving late to school.
Download the Carson school Tardy Policy here.