Civics Service Learning
What’s Service Learning? Service learning is an effective way for youth to develop the drive and desire to become lifelong volunteers and engaged citizens. Students can participate in activities through outside organizations like Volunteer Fairfax as well as at Rachel Carson Middle School. Service learning at Rachel Carson aligns with the FCPS Portrait of a Graduate that supports the development of responsibility to the local and global community.
FCPS requires that each middle school student complete 15 service hours by the end of eighth grade (May 20th, 2022). We encourage students to start earning their service hours in 7th grade. Here are suggested ideas for students to obtain their service hours.
- Direct Service Learning-Working directly with whom the service is for
- Helping a teacher
- Writing cards to the elderly/ veterans
- Indirect Service Learning
- Collecting and/ or distributing food items or clothing
- Baking for a cause
- Participating in a service orientated club
- Writing to your school board representative and/ or local, state, or national representatives to inform them about a specific community need.
- Working with local political organizations
- Speaking on behalf of underrepresented populations in the community
Service Learning is NOT:
- Doing a favor for a family member, neighbor, individual, or friend
- Performing chores or housework
- Grading papers for a teacher
- Receiving payment or extra credit for performing the service
Logging Volunteer Hours in X2VOL
To access x2VOL go to fcps.edu/Naviance. Students must scroll down the page, click on Student Naviance Login, and enter their FCPS username and password. Once in Naviance students must click on the x2VOL link in the bottom right corner.
Logging Hours: To log hours you will either create your own Personal Project or you will use a Recurring Project.
Create your own project by clicking on Opportunities and Projects > My Activity Log from the top tool bar. Click on the "Create New" button under "Personal Project' heading. You must fill in the fields for Activity Name, Description, Date, Hours claimed, and Activity Contact information. You must have a valid email for your Activity Contact person. You do not need phone numbers). You do not have to complete the Interest, Career or Reflection fields. Be sure to enter the correct DATE the activity was completed and to select the GOAL the hours should count towards. Click submit. Video directions of how to Create your Personal Project and log / add hours.
To log hours towards a Recurring Project or Scheduled Event that you previously signed up for, find the activity under the "My Activity Log" and click the Add Hours button. 7th graders will put their hours in the Class of 2027. 8th graders will put their hours in the appropriate Civics group and NJHS group (if applicable).
My hours are associated with a Group and Goal, but they are still not approved. What do I do?
Remember that all hours must be verified through email. When you entered the hours you needed to include a valid email address for someone who can verify you completed the hours. If you have done this and your hours are still pending you may want to contact the person whose email address you put in to verify your hours.
Check out this link for opportunities to volunteer in our area!